Applies to: Buyer Hub
You can assign expense categories to market list items to help you group your spending. Unlike tags, you can only assign one expense category per item.
Setting up expense categories
Before you can assign expense categories, they must be created first.
1. Click your user name at the top of the page, and select Companies (note: access to the Companies page is restricted to users with the permission only).
2. Select Actions > Manage accounting settings.
3. You will see the following screen. Click Add new.
4. Give the expense category a name, then click Save.
5. The category is now created. You can rename or delete the category any time you want. Note that if the category is deleted, the mapping for this category on Xero/QBO will be removed and exported documents will no longer carry this mapping info.
Assigning categories to items
If you have created the expense categories:
1. Select a market list by going to Outlets > Actions > View suppliers > Actions > View market list.
2. Select an item by clicking it. The Edit product dialog box will open.
3. Select an expense category from the dropdown.
4. Click Save.
Mapping expense categories to Xero/QBO accounts
If you would like the items to be mapped to their own COA/categories on Xero or QBO, once you have assigned the items an expense category, the categories must be mapped to Xero's Chart of Accounts or Quickbooks Online's Categories in the integration settings screens.
IMPORTANT - The item-level expense category mapping will not appear on the exported documents on Xero/QBO if you do not do this step.
Check out these articles to find out how to do this: